Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A Farewell to Palms

I finally gave up on my Treo. I cannot stand it freezing or randomly restarting any more. I've had a Palm for 12 years, so it was quite a wrench. In 1995 my parents got me an m505 (the most basic kind) for xmas. I upgraded over the years, culminating in a Treo 600 2 years ago & a 700 this year, & have loved & hated them ever since. The design has gotten better & better; Treos are great to keep things organized, but the software problems with Verizon were awful. I've had to replace the Treo probably 5 or 6 times in 2 years, none of which was ever because I lost it, was robbed or damaged it. I don't know what Verizon's problem is. It's unacceptable for a PDA to freeze if I send a couple texts in rapid succession, or if someone texts me while I'm typing. I understand that many of these problems are supposed to be a result of insufficient memory, flash or something. Whatever. Before you sell a phone you should make sure it works under normal usage, otherwise your job is not done.

All that said, I loved the user-friendly format & well-thought-out little details Palm excels at. A couple things the Treo does better than the BlackBerry: calendar events compress the hours. The BB continues to show a line for every hour regardless, which sometimes makes it annoying to see what I have for a whole day. E.g., when I work at Giant Multinational Corporation, 8:30-6 should be one line, not 10. & if I have a recurring event, I can't change one & make the future ones reflect that change, I can only change all or one. I sorely miss the categories in my to-do list. I miss dedicated buttons for calendar, memo, texts, tasks, phone & keyboard lock. The 'Berry only has 1. At the moment I can't get the Treo-'Berry sync wizard to work, but assuming that gets sorted out, the BlackBerry is great & everyone I know who got the same 8830 loves it. But I miss my faithful (if not always able) buddy. *sniffle*

Update: it does have categories. You hit the BB key, go to Filters, & if you've got your stuff sorted like I do, from the Treo, you can pick a category you want to view & voilĂ ! Really glad I fiddled around & discovered that.

No comments: