Saturday, October 07, 2006

fall shows

Showtime is doing a promotion this weekend which introduced me to the joy of Dexter. It's based on the killer book by Jeff Lindsay. Somehow the show captured Dexter's awkwardness in social interaction without making it too uncomfortable to watch. Michael C. Hall does a fantastic job portraying an amoral, highly intelligent, well-meaning killer. I'm not as enamored of his sister, who is whiny & asks stupid questions. I think that's a minor script problem which hopefully will be fixed as the season goes on (I only saw the first 2 episodes). I'm also impressed by the tasteful way they show the bodies. There are lots of gory scenes which are really quite bearable. Too bad I don't have Showtime & will have to wait for the DVD to come out.

I also like Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip. It's witty & the characters really draw me in. It's fun watching Jordan battle her ex-husband's outlandish allegations while fighting to allow Matt & Danny to write quality material despite focus groups, "crazy Christians," & other assorted philistines. Of course it also helps that everyone in the cast is very easy on the eyes.

No comments: