Friday, September 22, 2006

blog books

I am exhausted today - possibly from drinking all night with Morgan Stanley Ex-Boyfriend - but I just finished Wonkette's book. She's a very interesting, funny writer. I never read her blog, since I don't care about politics (no, I will not listen to nasty or scolding comments about that); I just heard the book was great. It's certainly well-written, but towards the end I stopped liking it so much. Melanie Thornton is a junior aide in the Democratic presidential candidate's campaign who's having an affair with a married TV guy. Her best friend Julie is a savvy, capable consultant. When rumors start going around about Melanie & the married guy, Julie & Melanie start a blog pretending to be a Beltway call girl to deflect attention. I won't give away the rest of the plot, so I'll just say it's a little disappointing.

More importantly, Melanie pissed me off more & more as I watched her flounder around. She was so Midwestern & sad & square, despite sleeping with a married man. I wanted to read more about Julie, who was an inspiration, the way she thought everything through, kept her head on straight, & didn't get sidetracked by how things should be, instead concentrating on what to do with how they were. I guess I just don't identify with "the little guy." I like the ones who are rational & accept whatever needs to be done without pretending to feel bad about it, probably because that's how I want to be.

The other blogger book I read recently was Anonymous Lawyer. That was much more satisfying. Anonymous Lawyer is hilariously cruel to everyone but I think it's really just an exaggeration of his frustration with incompetence. I wasn't as enamored of the ending but overall it was great & you should definitely read it.

No comments: